B. Write five questions to the text.
II. Choose the right answer.
1. The black widow is (dangerous) spider because its bite can kill a man in a few minutes.
A most dangerous
B the most dangerous
C the dangerousest
D the more dangerous
2. I’m, late, …?
A am not I
B don't l
C aren't l
D are I
3. She looked out of the window. It (still / snow).
A was still snowing
B still snowed
C has still snowed
D has still being snowing
4. The Davons (use / live) in the town, but now they live in the country.
A used to live
B were used to live
C got used to live
D are getting used to living
5. I’ll look … your children if you are busy tomorrow.
6. All of … sudden she stopped her dinner and went out.
7. We found only … flowers in the wood.
B a little
D a few
8. Oh, your case is very heavy. I (help) you to carry it.
A am going to help
B ought to help
C will help
D must help
9. A new navigation equipment (examine) by our scientists now.
A is being examined
B is examining
C is examined
10. I wish I (spend) so much money. And now I have to borrow it from my parents.
A didn’t spend
B haven’t spent
C wouldn’t have spent
D hadn’t spent
11. You had better (write) to your parents more regularly.
A to write
12. The other day Dad was invited to … school to see the headmaster.
13. When he arrived, they … him that his friend had phoned.
C said to
14. He made me (tell) the story from the very beginning.
A to tell
15. What’s wrong … Henry? He looks tired.
16. I’d like him (go) with us to see Granny.
A would go
D to go
17. The doorbell rang just as he (leave) the house.
A has left
C was leaving
18. He is proud … his son’s achievements.
19. I have … seen Julia … written to her.
A neither … nor
B either … or
C or … or
D never …or
20. Chris is trying to … smoking.
B give up
C give off
D give out
21. Dad asked who … that morning.
A I rang
B had I rung
C did I ring
D I had rung
22. The workers (build) the road by the end of the year.
A will have been built
B will built
C will have built
D are building
23. If I were in your shoes, I (help) her.
A will help
C would have helped
D would help
24. What is the … news of today?
25. He prefers this room … that room.
C more than
D more to
III. Translate the sentences from Russian into English.
1. Если ты хорошенько потрудишься, ты сдашь экзамены. 2. Мистер Поте сказал нам, что прекрасно провел время с нами. 3. - Я никогда не бывала в Англии. Я тоже. 4. Я не понимаю, о чём говорят эти люди. Жаль, что я не знаю английского языка. 5. Твоему брату пришлось самому чинить велосипед? 6. Как мог Том Сойер заставить своих друзей красить забор? 7. Санкт-Петербург славится своими музеями и картинными галереями. 8. Комната Джона самая удобная в вашей квартире, не так ли? 9. Ты не знаешь Анин телефон? Я точно не помню, но сейчас поищу его в своей записной книжке. 10. Докладчик сообщил, что население нашего города достигнет миллиона к следующему году.
Read the text and do the tasks that follow.
SOME ADVICE FOR BUSINESS LEADERS
1 In large organizations, leaders should spend no more than four hours a day in their offices. The rest of the time, they should be out with their people, talking to lower-level employees and getting their feedback on problem areas. They should be making short speeches and handing out awards. They should be travelling widely throughout their organizations.
2 The best leaders are those whose minds are never closed and who are eagerto deal with new issues. Leaders should not change their minds too frequently after a major decision has been made, but if they never reconsider, they are beginning to show a degree of rigidity and inflexibility that creates problems for the organization.
3 Executives must take a disciplined approach to their schedules, their post, their telephone calls, their travel schedules and their meetings. Staying busy and working long hours are not necessarily a measurement of leadership effectiveness.
4 Leaders may run efficient organizations, but they do not really serve the long-term interests of the institution unless they plan, set goals and provide strategic perception.
5 The leader must be willing to pass on skills, to share insights and experiences, and to work very closely with people to help them mature and be creative.
6 Leaders should let people know that life is not so important that you can’t sit back occasionally and be amused by what is happening. Laughter can be a great reliever of tension.
7 Reliability is something that leaders must have in order to provide stability and strength to organizations. Leaders must be willing to be flexible but consistency and coherence are important elements of large organizations.
8 Leaders must not only understand the major elements of their businesses but must also keep up with any changes.
9 Leaders should be able to look at themselves objectively and analyse where they have made mistakes and where they have disappointed people.
Последнее изменение этой страницы: 2016-06-09